contact us

Use this form to contact us.  We will reply as soon as possible  

202 North Avenue #305
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Everything you need to know about testicular cancer; awareness, education, support, treatment, resources, signs & symptoms, testicular self exam, and more. 

Teste-Monials Blog

Testicular Cancer Teste-Monials

An Army of Support

Kim Jones

In anticipation for testicular cancer awareness month, the team behind inspiring stories at
Boomcast would like to share a story that has touched hundreds of thousands of hearts.


 “ When I heard the words ‘you have cancer’ roll off his tongue, I didn’t really understand what he was saying. I don’t think I really processed it. It wasn’t until I rang my mum when I realized what I was saying. ‘Mum, I have cancer’. As soon as I said it, I started crying.”

Hugo is a young, fit and healthy 24 year old Lieutenant in Australian Army. In June 2013 he was diagnosed with testicular cancer and had a testicle removed then opted for prosthetic, all was good. “It was actually kind of funny when the doctor asked me what sized testicle I wanted!” However things took a turn for the worst in November 2013 when a second CT scan showed cancer spread to abdomen and lymph nodes. It was too late for surgery so his only option was chemotherapy.
     “I was upset, scared and angry, but with support from the Army and family and friends I was able to stay positive and that empowered my mind and body to fight.” With support coming from all ends he then endured 4 rounds (12 weeks) of intense chemotherapy. “I was fatigued and sick but no matter how badly I felt, the Army, my friends, and my family were always firm in my mind which motivated me. This motivation made me go out for a walk everyday.”
     February 2014, following chemo, there was still an abnormality in Hugo’s abdomen and lymph nodes. The only option at this point was a very long and very risky operation to remove all his lymph nodes in his abdomen.
     “I was far more anxious going into surgery than going into chemo, but with continued support I was able to stay strong.” This support and strength is what got Hugo through what he explains as the most painful 12 hours of his life. However post surgery he felt better and better every passing day and was able to walk more and more, as uncomfortable as each step was he knew it would help with his recovery. After being in CCU for a week, he was moved to a private room for a month.
     “Subsequently, the pathology from the surgery confirmed that I was in remission with the lymph nodes containing no active cancer. There is no better feeling in the world than hearing ‘you are cancer free’ and even though I had to endure extended recovery and rehabilitation, I didn’t care I was cancer free.”
     Hugo shared his story with us exactly 2 years to the day after my initial diagnosis, and it sure was a rather emotional and physical journey. “It is fair to say that my perception on life has changed a bit. I look back over the last 2 years, and as cliché as it sounds, I feel I am a better person for going through what I have. I have learnt to accept that everyone has their own problems in life, and everyone handles their emotions differently. Emotion is simply apart of life. We shouldn’t see it as a sign of weakness, rather to embrace it. Yes at times it seems as though it can tear people apart, but I like to think it can also bring people closer together. Rather than focus too much on the negatives in life, try to look at the positives. Life is special, let’s not take it for granted."
     Hugo is incredibly thankful for the love he received from his friends and family. However not everyone has the same support he did. “Due to the support I constantly had, I now dedicate myself to supporting and inspiring those who feel lost and hopeless in their dark times. Boomcast is a new social network where I can inspire people. I can share stories, connect and support people who are going through dark times similar to what I went through. I often broadcast my favorite quote that I like to live by:
     “Be grateful for all the obstacles in your life, they have strengthened you as you continue on with your journey.” Hugo shared his story on Boomcast. A new social network for people who want to share stories that inspire and create positive change. “The world needs more apps like Boomcast to inspire people and create positive support around the world.” says Hugo.

Jason Greenspan's Story

Kim Jones

My name is Jason Greenspan, and I’m a Stage IIA Non-Seminoma Testicular Cancer survivor.

My story started back in May 2012. I was only 18 and in my senior year of in high school. I already applied to colleges and got accepted to many of them. The one I chose was Shippensburg University. I had just finished planning for my prom. In my friend group, I’m usually the one who plans everything! Planning for this was fun, but also a challenge. I already had the limo reserved, the schedule made, and was ready to have the time of my life; but little did I know that my life was going to change in an instant.

I was at home, watching television and had a simple itch. That itch ended up being the most important itch of my entire life. I noticed something hard—something I didn’t remember feeling before. Clearly, something wasn’t right. It’s difficult to describe, but I had this gut feeling that it was something horrible. I never had had that feeling before—ever. I went upstairs to my mom and told her. She said to try not to worry too much about it, but she’ll make a doctor’s appointment anyway. Within a day or so, my mom and I went in for my doctor’s appointment. He checked me. Then, he said the words that I never thought I would hear; “YOU HAVE CANCER.” There was so much running through my head. Being diagnosed is something that I never thought would happen to me! I tried my best, but a couple of tears ran down my face anyway. Without knowing about this type of cancer, the first question I remember asking him was, “How long do I have?” I started to remember random events in my life, from when I was a child, up until that moment. I wanted to cherish those memories—I feared there wouldn’t be many more.

After reading more information about Testicular Cancer, I quickly realized that it’s one of the most curable cancers out there. I was lucky in that regard, but sometimes others aren’t.

The morning of my surgery, I went to the hospital, got checked in, and sat in the waiting room. My family was with me as well: my grandparents, mom, uncle, stepdad, and step-brother. It was incredible to have all the support that I had! Luckily, the surgery didn’t take long. I couldn’t wait to get home!

So now, after having my surgery, I thought that everything was okay, and my nightmare was finally over! It turned out that it hadn’t even started. After taking many more tests such as X-rays, CT Scans, and general checkups, it turned out that cancer had spread past my one testicle. At this point, I had to think of further treatment.

I had to meet with many oncologists until I found the one that would be the best fit for me. The one I chose, though, is phenomenal. He told my mom and me what will be happening and how to move further with my treatment. At this point, I needed to have chemo. I couldn’t believe it. The first thing that I think of when I hear the word “chemo” is hair loss. I couldn’t imagine losing my hair. It’s something that had always been very important to me, and everyone who knows me knows that. That was my biggest fear of the entire experience, well, in the beginning at least. I found out that I needed to have nine weeks of chemotherapy.

My first day of chemo was okay. I remember walking in, sitting in the chair, getting hooked up, and asking my mom, “This is it? Chemo won’t be hard!” I later found out that this statement would be far from the truth. Yeah, the first day wasn’t terrible, but that was only the first day.

Towards the end of my chemo treatment, I needed to have a lot of pricks from the needle each and every day I was there. I could have up to 6 pricks on a bad day, but it was still usually 2 or 3 pricks even on a good day. Unfortunately, this happened because after having chemo for so long, the nurses were not able to get a straight path with the needle, compared to before. I remember one day when I was sitting in the chair, the nurses were trying to get the needle in my arm for me to receive my treatment, and it was so bad that it must have been at least eight times! All I kept thinking to myself was “Why me?” That day was the only day during the entire nine weeks that I cried, at my treatment facility at least. The only thing on my mind was going home and having this terrible nightmare be over.

All of the nurses at my treatment facility were wonderful! They were very kind and caring people. They were not able to see me much, though. Whenever I went into the chemo room, I would always put my hood from my sweatshirt over my head—far enough so that my entire head would not be visible. By doing this, it helped me so I wouldn’t be able to look around, which got me sick. Every time I would see an IV bag or a person in one of those chemo chairs, my stomach would start to hurt. I joked after the fact, that if I went to visit the nurses after I was feeling better, they probably wouldn’t even remember me because they were never able to see my face!

The entire cancer experience has let me meet many amazing and inspiring people. I was able to meet other cancer survivors, caregivers, and other people who have been affected by cancer in some way.

Let’s help cancer patients with just one penny at a time, and STAMP OUT CANCER now!

That one Sunday evening, some 20+ years ago…by Donnie Griffin

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation

It was a normal Florida summer night, hot and muggy, and I was enjoying a game of 5 on 5 full court basketball and feeling great. Having played three years of high school basketball, enlisted in the U.S. Army where I jumped out of airplanes, just returning home as a Gulf War Veteran, I thought I was in the best shape of my life.

Then it happened. I got hit in the nuts, balls, nads, or whatever kids are calling them these days. I got nailed “there” with the basketball. Ok, so maybe that doesn’t sound like a big deal. All guys have been hit down there before, but it was different this time. After a week of intense pain, I knew that this wasn’t going away, but I didn’t want to go see a doctor. How embarrassing, for me, a young man, having a doctor messing around down there, even if it was to see what was wrong.

The pain finally out weighed the embarrassment, and I found myself sitting in the Urologist office really just wondering when this would all be over. I was given some pills to take to see if it would help take away the pain and stop the swelling. When they didn’t work I was told that I would have to have surgery to get a better idea of what was going on.

So surgery was scheduled. And when I woke up, what I learned changed the course of my life forever. I remember hearing three words after the anesthesia wore off. Testicle, remove and cancer. Testicle? Who even uses that word? I’ll tell you who uses that word. Doctors. And cancer? What? Who? Me? All I could think was that I am a perfectly healthy and athletic young man. Athletic, yes. Healthy, not so much. They had to remove my right testicle, and things were about to get a whole lot worse.

What I hadn’t known that summer evening was that as I was running up and down the basketball court, night after night, week after week, cancer had been racing through my body for months. I didn’t have the slightest idea that I was so close to death. After all the tests and scans were run, I was told that I had stage 4 Testicular Cancer. Woah! That was a lot to digest. Had I not been hit with that ball, the doctors said it would have most likely went unnoticed, and therefore untreated. 4-6 months is about all I would have had left, and then BOOM, lights out!! No warning whatsoever. Scary stuff there.

After a major abdominal and thoracic lymphectomy, along with multiple cycles of chemotherapy, the odds were beaten and to this day I remain cancer free. 

So why tell this story, especially after so long? The answer is simple. If my story can help just one young man do self checks, there is your answer. If this helps just one young man reach out to a loved one or a doctor if an abnormality is found, well there you go. If just one young man reads this, and maybe even shares with his friends, well you see where this is going? I was the guy who never did self checks. I was the guy who was embarrassed to tell loved ones of the problem I had going on. Guys! Don’t be that guy. Educate yourself on testicular cancer and don’t be afraid to talk to someone about any issues you may be having.

Testicular cancer is most common in young males between the ages of 15 to 34. We all know males in this age range, whether a son, brother, grandson, or friend. So my hope is that you please share my story. All that talk about testicles and self checking can be embarrassing at a young age, I know that firsthand. But with that being said, cancer knows no age, race or athletic ability. So don’t be afraid to reach out, check the macho attitude at the door, educate yourself and most importantly periodically check your testicles for lumps, sensitivity to touch or anything else that just doesn’t feel right. It could possibly save your life. One thing is for sure, I would have been dead a long time ago if not for that one Sunday evening some 20+ years ago.

Life Changing by Alex Hassett

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation

On Feb 2nd 2014 I was struck down with severe abdominal pain on my lower right side. After being told I may have cancer I layed in a hospital bed for 5 days before finally being told I had stage 2 testicular cancer and that first thing Monday morning I will be losing my right testicle.

Was I scared? Hell yes. But after I was told I was having surgery in 3 days, it couldn't come fast enough. Because I knew if they were doing something to my body, I was that much closer to getting better.

Then the chemo started, also very scary! Man I hated those needles but I got used to it. And to the surprise of the doctors and myself the chemo never really got on top of me. Sure I had some bad days and felt a bit nauseous. But I was always able to put a smile on for family and friends. DON'T BE SCARED of the chemo...... Just roll with it, it will be over soon.

It's now been 3 months since treatment and I'm cancer free! Just like everyone else, we are keeping a keen eye on my bloods and ct results. And the doctors are very positive about my continued recovery.

My words for anyone going through the same battle I did,

It's okay to be scared! But the doctors found it and they have the power and intention on making you better.

Chemo is a scary word, but it's gonna save your life, I looked forward to my chemo at the beginning and before I knew it, it was over.

Open your eyes! Wow, I didn't realize how many people out there had it worse than me. And how many people actually cared about me.

It's only a blip on the radar! Yeah it's gonna affect your life, but not for long! 3 months clear and I'm back playing football and my girlfriend and I have just started building our new house!

Life has just begun

Oh yeah, and love your family, they may annoy you with a million questions and phone calls, but they mean well!

My TC Story by Joe Bonavita

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation

Joe Bonavita and wife Ellensue


On Jan 30th 2002 I found a lump on the right side. I told my wife and she called our Urologist. I went to see him the next day. After a quick exam he sent me to get an ultrasound. I was sent immediately back to his office to discuss the results. He explained the findings and that it had to be removed quickly so he scheduled the operation for the next morning. I remember saying to him - "wait a minute, I'm going fishing tomorrow". Well needless to say both the doctor and my wife said "Not anymore".

I was diagnosed with Stage 1. I was very, very lucky it wasn't worse. I underwent radiation treatment 5 days a week for 6 weeks.

Normally I wouldn't have thought twice about the lump. I typically would have figured it would go away in a few days without anything. I was a person that never really went to the doctor for anything except for when I was younger for a few broken bones.

What made this different was the HBO show Sex in the City. My wife and I were watching it about a week or so prior (maybe a little longer) and the character Steve on the show was diagnosed with TC. This was the first I ever heard about it. Because of this, it led me to tell my wife about it immediately instead of play a wait a see game.

In a way I owe a big "Thank you" to Sex in the City for bringing awareness to a cancer which I had never heard of.

I will forever be thankful for my wife Ellensue Bonavita for taking such good care of me and being right on top of everything.

Lucas Rodrigues Shares His TC Story

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation


On 04/10/2013 I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Advanced stage germ cell and  embryonic carcinoma.  It first appeared as a hard lump on my left testicle. Since there was no pain, did not give importance to it. It took me a couple of months to investigate the causes. It couldn't be a cancer I had no knowledge about. Then I headed to the ER in my town.

Upon arriving there, I was seen by a general practitioner then was soon heading for the urologist . He requested some tests,  among them the testicular ultrasound, alpha- feta protein and beta- HCG blood test. At the conclusion of the tests,  I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. That's a feeling I can not explain.  Think of an adrenaline rush. How can I forget that day that marked my life?

Questions arose. Why me? I had no one in the family with cancer. Time passed a thousand things through my head. Why me? Will I die? is it curable? Will I be able to have children?

I never thought that in my family it would be me to face this disease , since no one in my family had cancer. On 04/30/2013 I had the surgery to remove the left testicle ( orchiectomy ). Now I am doing 4 chemotherapy sessions lasting 6 hours.

God gave me a wonderful family that helps me and supports me through all stages of treatment. Chemotherapy has left me with a few side-effects. But I now understand why everything I go through has served as a life lesson. I feel proud of myself. I thank God that He made e strong and humble at the same time and makes me believe in my healing!


**en español**


No dia 10/04/2013 fui diagnosticado com câncer de Testículo (células germinativas, carcinoma embrionário) Fase Avançada. Apareceu um nódulo duro no meu testículo esquerdo, como não sentia dor não dei importância pra isso, demorei mais ou menos uns dois meses até investigar, por ser um câncer muito raro não tinha nem o conhecimento sobre o mesmo.


Depois me encaminhei ao Pronto Socorro da minha cidade, chegando lá fui atendido por um Clínico Geral, onde em seguida fui encaminhando para o Urologista. Chegando lá ele solicitou alguns exames, dentre eles o Ultrassom do Testículo, alfa-feto proteínas e beta-HCG e como conclusão: Estava com Câncer de Testículo. É uma sensação que não dá para explicar! Pense numa carga de adrenalina... Como esquecer desse dia que marcou minha vida, as perguntas surgiram: Porque eu? Eu não tinha ninguém na família com câncer!

Na hora passa mil coisas pela sua cabeça: Porque comigo? Será que vou morrer? Tem cura? Vou poder ter filhos? Só pensava na minha família, como iria encarar essa doença comigo, já que ninguém na minha família tinha câncer.

No dia 30/04/2013 fiz a cirurgia para a retirada do Testículo Esquerdo (orquiectomia). Hoje faço 4 sessões de quimioterapia que duram 6 horas.

Deus me deu uma família maravilhosa que me ajuda e apoia todas as etapas do tratamento, a quimioterapia me deixou com poucas sequelas, mas hoje consigo entender o porque de tudo que estou passando, me serviu como lição de vida, sinto orgulho de mim. Agradeço primeiramente a Deus que me fez forte e humilde ao mesmo tempo e me faz acreditar na minha cura!!

The Wrecking Ball by Blakeley Hollinger

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation

I am currently serving in the US Army and when I noticed that my right testicle was about twice the size of my left. I was in the United States. A doctor misdiagnosed the problem and so I went on a deployment to Afghanistan. while i was in Afghanistan i noticed the testicle getting bigger so i asked a couple of my buddies what I should do and they told me that i needed to go to the hospital. Soon after I went to the hospital they were rushing me to get an ultra sound. The doctors in Afghanistan were very concerned with the problem and they had me medi-vaced right away to Germany where I received a radical right orchiectomy. I then came back to the states and received my chemotherapy treatments. Now I'm with the girl that stood by my side through the entire thing and I have a wonderful dog that protected me when I was sick. I am now also on my second deployment and staying strong since the whole thing anyone that is struggling with testicular cancer just keep your head up and stay strong every mushroom cloud has a silver lining just remember that. Thanks for taking the time to read my story.

You Don't Survive Cancer Easily

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation

This post was sent to us anonymously from a testicular cancer survivor, who speaks about the struggles he has faced after his battle with TC. 


"You don't survive cancer, at least not in some places."

Yes, this statement might hit you hard, if you are cancer patient, or your close friend or relative has cancer. And no, this story is not against medical science. Scientists and doctors, in fact, are good people. They sometimes, just for the sake of your happiness, say things like "nothing is going to happen to you." You at least get a glimmer of hope by this statement. 

But what medical people will not tell you is how socially this may hamper your life. The moment you were diagnosed with cancer, your fate changed. The lines on your palm changed. The future in front of you changed. And some people in your life...CHANGED.

I am from a part of the world where treatment is expensive, and not everyone survives. There is a lack of education, awareness and social factors make it even worse. Most of them are unaware about the symptoms and unable to detect disease at early stages. Survival gets tough, since it's not possible for everyone to afford the best doctor, the best hospital, the best treatment. Eventually you become a "story", which everyone talks about. People do not discuss the disease, and even if they do, they discuss about how one died or what happened to someone and how miserable his/her life became. They do not come to support, instead, they come once, and give fake sympathy. 

But thank you God for blessing us with parents & friends. There were the only ones to provide support and drive to return back to normal.

For me, that night was horrible. It came as shock. It was scary. There were thoughts like "it did these germ cell tumors happen to me?"

It all started with a little pain and some uneasiness in my right testicle. Thank God, I am educated, I had internet access and thanks to Larry & Sergey for Google. I read a couple of things about this pain on Google, decided to go to doctor next day. He asked me to immediately get a sonogram where he said it could be a "germ cell tumor". I had never heard this term in my life. That;s when I went back home Googled everything and that night, I read a lot, for the first time about cancer. I decided to tell my parents the next morning. I didn't want to ruin their sleep that night, though deep inside, I knew, the rest of the night will be ruined.

6 months have passed since then. 1 orchiectomy and 2 rounds of BEP chemotherapy, and I am now okay. I am back to work, but not back to normal. Why? In these 6 months my life got changed, fate got changed, and some people changed. I owe a hearty thanks to the medical team, that I am fine today. 

I WAS engaged. I had my wedding venue booked, my honeymoon tickets booked. And now they have asked me to break-up with her. They say, "We are scared for our daughter." They say "We have seen lot of problems in last 20 years." She lost her father when she was 3. Her uncle is suffering from some other type of cancer, 4 operations 4-5 types of chemotherapy, and still his chances are slim. He himself now says to her, "I have seen all this. I am trying, but I know  I wont live more, so please take your decision very carefully, don't hurt your mom."

They family has seriously not seen happiness in the last 20 years, but then what should we do? We loved each other, we accepted each other as husband and wife, we were about to get married. We planned our life together, we dreamt together. We don't need any rituals to get married, so how do we part ways?

I can understand the fear my fiancee's family has. Especially with the experiences that they have gone through. A lot of people have that kind of fear once cancer has affected someone they love, and it's hard for them to look beyond past experience and hard to not think of the worst scenario sometimes. Especially if some doctors say "I might not be able to father a child", or "This might happen again" though there is only a  5% chance of this. One said "If i had been at your place, I would have not gotten my daughter married to a guy with this problem."  There was "We know about this disease and we can cure it, but we cannot make any social decision. He will be fine, the rest is on you." "No one takes 5% guarantee, you might get hit with a car outside this dispensary. Who knows?"

These statements make them more worried about their daughter. They are not wrong.

My life has changed. The way I used to think about it,. The perspective has changed. There WAS the fear of "what if it comes back", but I have been able to overcome this, due to various blogs, articles and most importantly my friends and my parents. We discussed it with so many doctors, and they all say one thing "yeah you are fine and you will live fine". But I keep asking one question, "What now? What should I do" I don't enjoy my work any more. I want to go away, somewhere close to nature, somewhere away from this lifestyle, away from these gadgets, technology, traffic, pollution, and crowded places. I want to go away to some peace.

Officially I am not engaged any more. But my heart beats for her and it will always beat for her. She was with me at that time, and she is still with me. I know, she does pray for me everyday, every time. She fought with her family, made them understand, talked, cried and cried out loud,. She cried in bed, and fell asleep with tears on her cheeks.

I wish to be with her, and take her somewhere far away for whatever life that is left in me. I want to make her smile. I want to fulfill her dreams.

Doctors do not tell, that society might change for you, or how will they look upon you. What comments will be passed. They all might say "wish you a good life" with the though at the back, they will say "Tch Tch, Tch, this is so sad. He was such a good guy".

People will relate the past with it. People will find all the reasonable-unreasonable points to call this relation off. They will link every disease, every superstition thing with this. But no one of them will say, "You are gonna make it, and you will marry her someday".

A lot of emotions and lot of feelings cannot and could never be converted into words. There were nights that made me anxious of loosing her and even I cry alone. I am scared of losing her. Though numerous motivational videos, blogs, articles you read, you see people doing tremendous thing after cancer. But then, these things haunt you at every time of the day. You feel like you are losing the grip on your life. When your personal life gets devastated, if affects your work. Though each day I am trying hard to prove my mettle. My my heart gets heavy over my mind and it tells it stupid things. I have cried inside many times in a single day and I just hide it inside better these days.

And I say to myself "You really don't survive cancer easily."

I Love you my wife....

One Nut Wonder by Ronald Durfey

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation

I had dealt with pain for a while after multiple checks with different physicians and countless antibiotics. Finally the urologist set me in a chair and smacked my leg and said I am 99 % sure you have cancer than got up and left. Leaving me their to take the full force of the train that was hitting me. He walked back into the room and sat back in the chair now saying we are doing surgery in two days. I can't remember what else he said due to his opening statement to me. After the surgery was complete he than handed me off to my cancer doc Dr. Moffet she was a very nice and soothing lady she guided me through the chemo treatments and test making it much easier.

After the surgery and treatment I have been diagnosed anxiety and a sleep problem. I also now have a chronic pain in the lower groin area from the incision and nerves growth and damage. Tried injections and body rejected them, tried a cream but if it gets in contact with penis it won't work. Also had developed ghost pains from the missing testicle.

One Dude, One Mission: Live. Fight. Win.

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation


The date itself should have been my first ominous warning. It was September 11. This of course was 11 years after the terrorist attack. A day that has now taken on an entirely different role in my mind. 

I had been bothered by swelling and dull pain in my left testicle for going on three months at this point. From the beginning, the thought of cancer weighed heavy on my mind. But not wanting to hear that kind of news, or even anything close, I found every medical reason I could to stay clear of the doctor. That was, until September 11 of last year. 

Read More

Without My Son. . .

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation

Michael Muriett first came in contact with TCAF on August 22, 2012, just two short days after losing his 19 year old son Justin to TC. He will gladly tell you that he thinks it is no coincidence that when searching for a foundation to ask people to donate money to in lieu of flowers for his son that TCAF was the first result he came upon.

Read More

A Love Story. . .

Testicular Cancer Awareness Foundation


Dane and I married on July 23, 2010 and on top of the world.We were best friends for 13 years prior to marriage and we were ready to start a family.

Three months after we got home from our honeymoon, Dane started having lower back pain.All visits to orthopedics, back specialists, etc. had the same diagnosis: a pinched nerve or a slipped disk.He was losing a lot of weight saying he didn't have an appetite because of the pain medication the doctor had given him.

Read More